Lectures & Other Presentations
(Each session is 1 and ½ to 2 hours in length):
1. The Four Scriptural Stages of Faith Development. Just like the people in Luke’s Gospel, we all find ourselves in different stages of our faith journey at different times and in different circumstances. Developed by Franciscan Father Richard Rohr “The 4 Stages Tool” offers invaluable insight on how to read the Bible. This tool fosters self-knowledge and promotes evangelization: knowing where WE are in OUR OWN faith development, we may more readily discern where OTHERS ARE on THEIR faith journeys. With this knowledge we are empowered to choose concepts and vocabulary of a particular stage where we may find “common ground” to share our faith and discuss the scriptures with Christians and non-Christians alike. The hand-out for this evening is available at www.LukeLive.com/description This presentation may be presented with or without songs as commentary. Thus, a Professional Pianist is optional.
2. How the Scriptures Came to be Written: A lively presentation on sources and history followed by small group exercises on ways the scriptural process is operative in our lives through the workings of the Holy Spirit. This evening may also include an optional segment on Bible Memorization as Prayer—a practicum with opportunity to choose, discusses, personalize, and memorize a particular biblical passage.
3. Music in the Bible & Spirituality in Secular Songs: A review of scriptural texts that cite music followed by an informal concert and discussion with assembly participation featuring songs by Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, Stephen Sondheim, Bob Dylan, Judy Collins and others.
4. Tools for Evangelization. Explore components of Evangelization as presented
in Disciples in Mission and from my experience offering Paulist National CatholicEvangelization Office Missions. In essence, identifying and comunicating our experiences of God.
Luke, the Evangeliast by Donatello circa 1428-1443
5. Tools for Reconciliation --explore forgiving and
forgiveness in Personal, Familial,
6. Parish Reconciliation Service Additional priests required as confessors.
7. The Protoevangelium of James. This is the 2ND century document that is the Church's only source for Saint Anne and Joachim and Mary's childhood. I proclaim the first half of the document (chapters 1 to 10) in the same way I proclaim Luke Live! interspersed with music and meditations. Accompanist needed. Note: Although this work is non-canonical, it is filled with biblical themes and is the only non-canonical work reverenced by the Church. I developed the Protoevangelium program at the request of 2 Saint Anne parishes in NJ who wanted "something different" for their annual St. Anne Triduum's in July.
8. Eucharist: We Are What We Eat A contemporary look at the Eucharist and meals that sustain us.
9. Isaac Hecker and the Paulist Fathers: Catholicism and Democracy. This session is in development and will be ready after January 2008.